An effective cover letter is what gives the first impressions to the hiring managers and the recruiters. Having all the required skills and being eligible for the job doesn’t guarantee you that you will have that job.
What is a cover letter?
A cover letter is an introductory letter that introduces you to the hiring managers, it highlights your strongest skills and ability which are relative to the job you are applying for.
Is a cover letter necessary?
Just you are wondering if the cover letter is still necessary, well that depends on if the recruiters explicitly asked for it to be accompanied with the job application, if not then there’s no need for it but it wouldn’t hurt to include a cover letter with your application even though the recruiters didn’t ask for it.
A good cover letter should :
- Emphasize your job objectives and state the job you are applying for.
- Highlights the aspects of your education and detailed experience which are most relevant to the job.
- Draw the attention of the employee or recruiter to your skillsets, previous experiences and talents.
- Briefly explain what is attracting you to apply for that specific job.
- Suggest getting an interview for more elaboration of what has been written on your cover letter.
A cover letter usually should be in three or four paragraphs with no more than 250-300 words. The longer the cover letter the more likely for the readers to lose interest.
To help you more grasp the idea of an effective cover letter
Fresh Cover Letter For Each Job
We all know it’s easier and way faster to re-use the cover letter which you previously used in your last job application and make a few edits and send it to the recruiters, but most of the hiring managers are looking for candidates who are really excited about the job they are applying for and this means there’s need for a custom cover letter for each job you are applying for.
How Cover Letter Look Like
In case you are wondering how a cover letter should look like or have a question how does a good cover letter look, then we have few great examples for you to get the idea: